CUSTOMER DIRECT RETAIL
Mackay Reef Seafood
Fresh from the
Trawlers and the
Healthy and Delicious
pristine waters of the Great Barrier Reef to you!
Click here for
MACKAY FISH MARKET
FACTS & INFORMATION ON
Cooking & Handling Tips
Omega 3 - The Fats of Life
Not all fats are bad fats. The good ones include the
fats in the polyunsaturated fatty acid family, and these are known as 'essential fats', or
more properly 'essential fatty acids'. These "healthy" fats are vital to health
and cannot be made by the human body - they must be obtained from diet. Omega-3 essential
fats are found almost only in fish and seafood.
Recognition of the importance of the omega-3s was a major nutritional
break-through that has since generated a great number of international scientific research
programmes. Results have clearly shown that not only do they have an essential role in
brain development in the unborn and newborn and are vital to the healthy maintenance and
function of the body - they can also help protect long-term good health and prevent, or
even treat, a number of complaints and diseases.
- Prevention of essential fatty acid deficiency in infancy
- Optimal retinal (eye) and brain development
- Heart disease
- Certain cancers (breast, colon, prostate)
- Mildly raised blood pressure
- Autoimmune diseases (lupus, certain kidney disorders)
- Crohn's disease
- Inflammatory skin diseases (eczema, psoriasis)
- Depression, schizophrenia
So - EAT MORE SEAFOOD !